I was looking for someone interested in cooking and family history, and Laura Dropp-ed In!
"I promised you a family recipe, and I'll start with my favorite of Indian Pudding. Grammie Holmes made it every year for Thanksgiving, and when she couldn't any more, my mom made it; now I make it. I know you said you tried it once, and I hope you give it a try again! It is a lot easier in the crock pot, but it is still a very long process -though worthwhile. This is the original recipe, how she wrote it down in the Good Eating Berkley Congregational Church Ladies Sewing Circle cookbook - including her note of how to do it in the crock pot."
This recipe comes from the kitchen of Viola Freeman Holmes, mother of Heather Holmes Dropps and grandmother of Laura Dropps. I hope that Laura is going to be our "old family recipe" contributor. If so, we'll both be counting on our Holmes readers to send in their old family recipes along with stories.
"I promised you a family recipe, and I'll start with my favorite of Indian Pudding. Grammie Holmes made it every year for Thanksgiving, and when she couldn't any more, my mom made it; now I make it. I know you said you tried it once, and I hope you give it a try again! It is a lot easier in the crock pot, but it is still a very long process -though worthwhile. This is the original recipe, how she wrote it down in the Good Eating Berkley Congregational Church Ladies Sewing Circle cookbook - including her note of how to do it in the crock pot."
This recipe comes from the kitchen of Viola Freeman Holmes, mother of Heather Holmes Dropps and grandmother of Laura Dropps. I hope that Laura is going to be our "old family recipe" contributor. If so, we'll both be counting on our Holmes readers to send in their old family recipes along with stories.
GRANDMA FREEMAN'S INDIAN PUDDING:
1 qt. Milk (4 cups for Canadians, not a liter)
1/3 c. Corn meal
1/2 c. Molasses
1/4 c. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Ginger
Scald 3 cups milk; add corn meal; cook until partly thickened. Add to rest of ingredients in buttered casserole. Cover; bake in slow oven for 2 hours; add 1 cup of cold milk; do not stir. Bake one more hour. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Energy saver -- pudding may be made in crock-pot allowing double time for each step.
Then I realized, I was somebody."
~Unknown~
I made this recipe and I was a little disappointed with the look of it. I consulted with Laura, and she said that yes, it should look a bit like pea soup. That's a good reason to cover it with ice cream!
ReplyDeleteIt was a bit too sweet for my taste; I'd use less sugar or molasses next time. I think I would describe it kind of like a gingerbread in taste, but puddingy in texture.
Mmmm... molasses, my favorite! I don't have much of a sweet tooth -but when I'm in the mood, I like it sweet!
ReplyDeleteI'm so used to the way it looks, I'm glad you put in the input about the possible turn off to making this recipe. I do remember the first time I made it alone 3,000 miles away from home, I thought the same thing! Thank you for designating me as the go-to family recipe person. I hope many others contribute as well :)