Saturday, 9 April 2011

Civil War Records

I am posting an entry that Glenn Holmes' sister Kristin sent to him about their ancestor's involvement in the Civil War. It is not about a Holmes ancestor, and therefore will be of more interest to the descendants of Jerome C and Jennie Edwards Holmes, but also to anyone interested in genealogy who might like to research their own ancestors involvement in the Civil War. Unfortunately I cannot access these records as I only have ancestry Canada.



"I read in the paper today that Ancestry.com just acquired Civil War records and access to the records is free for these first two weeks. I jumped at the chance to do a quick search on our great grandfather and found him! I knew he had served in the military as I previously had found a record for him in a military retirement home in Illinois.

It was interesting to get a little more info as mom had always said that neither of her mothers parents were alive when Marie moved to the islands but now, I've got proof that her father was still alive. He served for only about 6 months, just a few months before the end of the Civil War. He entered the retirement home at age 62 in 1905, he was 5'10" with gray hair and gray eyes. His son, our great uncle Forrest Grove was living in Lafayette, Indiana. Isaac died on June 7, 1912, two years after Marie and Enos married so he was still alive when they married in 1910, just over 100 years ago.

Isaac served as a Sergeant in the 154th Infantry from March 28, 1865 - August 4, 1865, last posted in Steven's Station W. Virginia. It doesn't appear that they fought any battles but served on guard duty. 

This is more than I had previously ever been able to learn about him so I'm finding this very interesting. I hope you do as well! 

Kristin"

Regimental History
One Hundred Fifty-fourth Infantry
INDIANA
(1-YEAR)


One Hundred Fifty-fourth Infantry. -- Col., Frank Wilcox, 
Lieut.Col., John P. Gapen; Maj., John D. Simpson.

This regiment was recruited in the 8th Congressional district 
and organized at Indianapolis. It was mustered in April 20, 
1865, and left the state on the 28th, moving to Parkersburg, 
W. Va. where it remained until May 2.

It then moved into the Shenandoah Valley, stopping at 
Stephenson's depot, where it remained until June 27 on guard 
duty, moving thence to Opequan creek. It was mustered out 
Aug. 4, 1865.

Its original strength was 977; gain by recruits, 5; total, 
982. Loss by death, 40; desertion, 84; unaccounted for. 1.
Source: The Union Army, vol. 3, p. 189 

No comments:

Post a Comment