Saturday, 8 October 2011

Summer Camp at the Farm


This photo is part of the collection of Janet Minella Nolte. Bless 'em, whoever wrote gently on the back of it. The photo was faded and I had to enhance the shadows in order to show the faces. I will tag them on facebook for the Holmes group. Most of these people are the descendants of Charles and Phoebe Holmes, and the photo was taken in front of Charles' house with Floyd's house in the background. The mystery in this picture: who are Bill Holmes and his wife? And who is the gentleman on the end? I'm guessing the photo was taken in 1929, as Uncle Jim looks to be about three. Give or take a year. See all the men put on a suit or at least a tie for the occasion. Did they just dress up to have their photo taken, or had they just come from the little church down the road?

Why summer camp? Little Bobby needed to get away for health reasons, I heard, so up north to the good clean country Hillgrove air the children went. Gram always had a houseful to feed anyway, and I do believe the kids slept in that porch you see on the whitewashed, unfamiliar looking farmhouse. The Colpitts family lived nearby and visited often.


Back row: Lillian Holmes Minella, Robert Colpitts, Ethel Colpitts, Phoebe McMonagle Holmes, Bill Holmes
Middle row: Phoebe Colpitts, Cassie Colpitts, Bill Holmes' wife, Charles Holmes, Unknown
Front row: Lillian (Sis) Holmes, Margaret Holmes, Bryce Holmes, Bobby Minella, Jim Holmes, Minnie Holmes

Question: Do you know who Bill Holmes is, and who that unknown gent is on the end?

No comments:

Post a Comment